SeaStars 2007 (Album Review)

Review 1.1 (I lost the first review cos’ I didn’t save it and my com crashed, boohoo..)




SeaStars 2007 is a fantastic and unique (and FREE!) concept album regarding all things marine. Composed, arranged, recorded, mixed and produced by two good friends (and may I add, good guitarists!) Ivan and Adrian (they call themselves ‘Starfish Stories’), it pays tribute to the wonders of the sea. The music takes the listener on a journey of reminiscence (Seashore Days), as well as bringing forth new adventures such as discovering the wonders of the deep oceans (Into the Deep) or simply ‘Flowing with the Waves’. Personally for me, the standout track in this album is ‘Dolphins Galaxia’, because it just seems to tell a wonderful story by itself about a group of dolphins journeying through the galaxy. But then, I have already watched the music video for this song before, so maybe I’m biased, heh.. I also liked 'Stargazer', with its beautiful guitar harmonies. I have a feeling that each different individual who listens to the album would have his/her own favourite track, as the different tracks would affect each person differently.

Perhaps one tiny grouse that I may have is the heavy use of recorded ‘natural’ sounds such as waves throughout the album. I would prefer to hear the music itself do the ‘talking’ and setting up of the atmosphere. Just a comment, no offence Ivan and Adrian, you guys are great! =) It would also be cool if the album comes with poetry or some great scenic photographs (like those on postcards) to further capture and enhance the mood of the music. Then probably there could be some paragraphs written about what the sea means to different people, ‘inspirational quotes’ style. But I’m just being spoilt here, heh..

If you’re looking for catchy riffs or pop hooks, this is not the album for you. No roller-coaster rides here, just a magical maritime journey. Great job Starfish Stories!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Firdaus,
Thanks for your time and detailed and considered review of the album. What you have said is really helpful and yeah, poetry and nice pictures would have conveyed the mood even further; as you rightly put it that the songs were mood pieces that perhaps add ambience to the "maritime journey". Thanks for you time. :)
Have a blessed new year!

Ivan Chew said...

Yo Firdaus, I'll include the Dolphin Galaxia video for you in the CD :)